In an effort to save my fragile relationship with my computer (who I have never named, but for the sake of this post, we shall call Buttons), I have just deleted all my photos from before 2007.
For some time now, Buttons and I have been drifting apart. I swear she hasn't always been this slow. Sure she works . . . if only strictly by definition. But now whenever I type, it takes a full 30 seconds for the cursor to catch up after I stop. iPhoto takes 2 minutes to open/close and freezes anything else I have open. And heaven forbid I want to multi task or use Photoshop.
I ran the virus software, I reformatted her. Well, at least I think I did. But nothing has helped.
So today, I deleted 5 GB of pictures from her little hard drive. Sure, I have them all backed up on a disk, but I feel like I just kicked my kitty out on the streets, never to see him again. I can't think of the last time I went looking through my engagement or wedding photos. But now I'd have to go get a stinking disk and listen to the sick 'wurr'ing sound Button's CD-rom makes if I wanted to look at them.
Maybe it's my fault for not upgrading the RAM when I bought her. But I was young and stupid then. I just hope this helps things, because I'm tragically poor, and am afraid I can't replace her.
So, I am now officially adding "new, fast (maybe shiny) computer" to my list of things I want but will probably never get. Right up there with an itty-bitty-no-shutter-delay-camera, a big rice cooker, electric indoor grill/griddle, a quiet blender, my king size bed out of the garage, and no futon in my basement. I'm sure there's more, but since I'm not getting any of it, it really doesn't matter.
5 years ago
2 comments:
Did you run your anti-virus software? And make sure you're spyware free?
I did indeed. Twice. It took all night. Everything checked out. My computer and I just aren't getting along.
Post a Comment